Sunday, May 25, 2014

Mentoring the Mentors of the Mentees.

This year our school has become part of the Manaiakalani Digital Teachers Academy by taking on two MDTA teachers to be mentored by two of our expert teachers.  As we move through this new journey of Teacher education  it's been interesting watching the dynamics take place between the mentors and their mentees (let's just call them MDTAs - mentee is to close to manatee!) and how classroom leadership has transpired. 

While the programme is carefully managed and closely monitored by Manaiakalani, as a manager within the school environment it's important that I keep my finger on the pulse and regularly check on the teams to see how things are going and how they are feeling about how things are going.  After some reflection in my role within this programme, I realised that I was monitoring its progress mostly through the mentors, regularly speaking with them about their classroom programmes, the roles of both teachers in the room, classroom dynamics, behaviour management, professional relationships etc.   So, this week I had my first meeting with the MDTAs in supporting them in the programme, something that I should have done in Term 1!  Interestingly I didn't put our meeting in any overview or calendar, but just asked for them to come to my office for a chat...they ultimately felt like they were being called to the "DPs Office" for a stern talk, so had to reassure them that we were merely having a professional conversation for me to check in and see how they were going.  (Note to self: put our next meeting on the calendar!)  The conversation was open and honest and MDTAs were obviously passionate about their roles and the programme they were in. 

There were a few things I noted throughout the conversation and which I relayed to the mentors later in the day.  Firstly, there are times where the students still consider the MDTAs role secondary to the Mentor teacher in the room.  I wonder how we can change this for future recruits to the programme.  The experience a 1:26 classroom environment provides a beginning teacher is invaluable - being thrown in the deep end is the building block of success and our MDTAs haven't had the chance to gain the lead role as 'classroom teacher' as they weren't given the opportunity from the outset.  Maybe, it would have been better to let the MDTAs start the year solo, with mentors supporting, not in the room, but initially through advice, resourcing, programme and planning guidance.  After sufficient time to set up the class and establish teacher/student relationships, then perhaps we bring in the mentors.  The second observation I made was the professional conversations our mentors and MDTAs were having were always about 'advice and guidance'...but sometimes the MDTAs only need a sounding board.  I realised that our mentors needed to be conscious of what was a 'mentors' discussion and what was a 'colleagues' discussion.  As teachers we like to share our thoughts, ideas and experiences inside and outside the classroom, we don't always seek feedback or feedforward for what we're discussing.  Sometimes the mentors need to take off their Mentors hat and just listen to the MDTAs, let them come to their own conclusions and problem solve their own mistakes.  That's part of growing as a teacher.  My third observation of the meeting was that I myself as a manager needed to be more available to the MDTAs as much as I am to all our staff.  I realised that I speak almost daily to all staff, offering support, monitoring and checking in to see how they and their classes are going, but never really established that same relationship with the MDTAs...this was managed through the Mentors.  But this isn't right...MDTAs are BTs on our staff, exactly the same as the two other BTs on our staff who are sole charge.  My not establishing a the same professional relationship with the MDTAs was putting them in a secondary role behind their Mentors.  This was my greatest learning of the day and one which is now changed and I am acutely aware of.

At the end of the day, I am happy with where we are in our journey with this programme.  We are so lucky to have amazing MDTAs and amazing Mentors to be carrying out this new learning with us.  It all starts with relationships, communication and honesty.  I'm excited to see where these relationships lead us as the pioneers of the MDTA programme.



No comments:

Post a Comment