Sunday, August 31, 2014

Leaving a Legacy

This week through attending the funeral of an amazing teacher, I was forced to reflect on the legacy I am leaving behind.  A daunting and very humbling process, I'm met with questions of myself that I had thought about but not in any depth - a bit too much of an 'honest' task.
"What have I done to inspire children in my teaching?" "Who do I think I have inspired over the many years I have been working in schools?" "Who has inspired me in my lifetime and how did they do it?" "How do I inspire people around me?"
During the funeral service I attended, every person who spoke, talked of the 'profound effect' this phenomenal person had on them in so many different ways.  Through his love of reading, the great outdoors, passion for knowledge and sporting prowess, this person touched many people in his lifetime.  So much so that 3 past students stood and spoke, honouring  their teacher.  Two of them remembered this great man who taught them in 1954 in standard two.  The other was still at school, the teacher had worked as a regular reliever in his school.  I was both inspired and deeply moved by what these people had to share of a man who touched them in so many ways.  He was firm but fair, extremely passionate, eloquent, larger than life, well read, generous, humble and a walking encyclopedia. 
I attended this funeral in support of this great man's beautiful wife, a person who is very much a reflection of her soul mate.  I have never met the man, but was so touched by him and his legacy, it drew me here - to think, reflect and hopefully act.
 I feel that it's important that I reflect on my questions above regularly because amongst the demands of achievement expectations, assessment analysis, management, paperwork and everyday occurances, it's easy to loose sight of the child.  At the end of the day, the child is at the center of all that teachers do.  Yes their education is important, but so too, is the person that child becomes and I have a part to play in that...isn't that the reason I became and still am a 'teacher'?

No comments:

Post a Comment