Monday, June 22, 2015

Mindsets - in Maths

During our Math professional development, we have touched on Carol Dwecks ideas around "Mindset" and that we can grow our brain's capacity to solve problems.  While we discussed Carol's ideas and watched her talking about the different sets of 'fixed' and 'growth' mindsets, I was constantly reflecting on my own mindset, the mindset of some of my family members, staff members and students in our school. 
Below is a short clip of Carol describing two ways to think about a problem that's slightly too hard to solve.  Are you 'not smart enough to solve it'...or have you 'just not solved it yet'?

When we viewed the types of language used by 'Fixed' and 'Growth' mindsets, I could make connections between the way I think about things, not just in the classroom, but in life too.  The power of 'yet' also resonated with me as it gives a pathway to the future that the word 'fail' doesn't - particularly with the students I work with.  This PD was an opportunity to reflect on how and why I think the way I do.  It highlighted to me how important it is to know the learners and to think about the responses I give them to ensure they reflect a positive, growth mindset.
I can see 'mindsets' as a whole new feather to my cloak and I can't wait to set it in motion...starting tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment