Thursday, June 18, 2015

Real writing at work.

This week I am on the Manaiakalani Principals Tour. I have A LOT to blog about on this tour and will when I get a chance to sit down and go through the notes and photos I'll be putting my experiences and new learning and 'wonderings' on my blog.
For now though, I want to briefly write about my visit to one of the classes at Waitakiri School.  This is a great school with an amazing Principal, staff and children.
While walking through the school I was privileged to met a young little learner called Shiloh.
Shiloh is 7 years old and was happy to take time out of her busy learning to share with me a wonderful piece of writing she was doing about being a passenger on a ship from England in the 1850s. Her writing was very descriptive, she wrote of the movement of the ship, the sky above and the sea below. She told of her feelings about going to a strange new land and beginning a new life.  Her teacher and class mates were on a journey together to find out about what life was like for earlier settlers to our country.  Shiloh used what she had learned through her inquiry to create the story she was writing during literacy time.
I found Shiloh to be a very articulate, curious learner who enjoyed writing and was proud of her work.
Thank you Shiloh, for sharing your learning with me and taking me on a small piece of your wonderful learning journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment